How sweet it is…
The rollout of the 4.4.4 Maintenance Release for Moto X 1st Generation starts this week. Be on the look out for an update notification on your phone over the coming days as we roll it into production! You can find instructions on how to install system updates here.
Over the next week, you should see a notification on your device to update your software. If you don’t, you can check manually as outlined in the instructions doc.
Why the delay?
4.4.4 rolled out on the Moto G and already came installed on the Moto E and Moto X 2nd Generation. As we began the roll out for Moto X 1st Generation, our team found a bug and weren’t comfortable pushing an update that could potentially hurt your experience. Our developers have been hard at work to fix it and we’re happy to say we did!
The engineering teams discovered the issue and we fixed it. As the fix was related to the activation process, we needed to go back through the certification lab process all over again. This took longer than we anticipated, but it is worth the wait.
What’s New for Moto X (1st Gen)?
- 4.4.4 adds some interesting new functionality to Android as well as some performance improvements detailed in our 4.4.4 Release Notes.
- The phone app has been redesigned to focus more on your contacts. Contacts will be shown when you access the phone app. To dial a new number, you will have to tap the dialer icon first.
- Immersive mode will allow videos, books, etc. to completely fill the screen. In order to see the controls and buttons when in full screen mode, you will have to swipe down on the screen to reveal them.
- We have streamlined the activation process to make sure you can get up and running on your Republic device as quickly as possible by putting the Republic activation BEFORE the cellular activation. This makes jumping into your phone much faster and more simple.
- Lastly, your phones will upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. You aren’t missing anything from 4.4.3. Everything that was in 4.4.3 will be included in 4.4.4.
Keep an eye out for Republic app updates in the next couple of weeks as we march on towards the next Android update: Lollipop, which we’ve already started work on!
Thank you for your patience — we now have all our phones (Moto E, Moto G, Moto X 1st & 2nd Gen.) on 4.4.4. This is a big deal and a lot of effort has gone into this. Kudos to the team in getting this done. We hope you enjoy it!
Stay WiFi my friends