We are extra thankful when cool people say nice things about us. In case you missed it, here’s a run down on press and great blogs from September.
Wisdom holds it that when it comes to saving money, the small things add up – 10 Expenses to cut today – look at #2. Even better when it isn’t hard to save.
We are living through the greatest period in history – seriously great blog post!! Check it out for 50 facts that show we’re actually living through the greatest period in world history. We’re honored to be included as the 47th tip.
Rob Berger, the master mind behind The Dough Roller, is one super sharp guy. He devotes significant time helping others learn solid financial principals and offers this great post on 22 Best Tools to Manage Your Money. Thanks Abby for the great review!
Some big companies are resorting to old school lobbying tactics in an effort to defend unlicensed LTE, a technology that some, including the WiFi Alliance and Republic Wireless, believe could slow down and compromise WiFi. Don’t be fooled – a great article from IDG News Service in Network World shows the only thing that would evolve with this effort is the ability for big companies to run LTE type services over spectrum reserved to facilitate WiFi. As our fearless leader David Morken is fond of saying: “I’ll agree to LTE-U if they will agree to WiFi-L.” Stay tuned for more.
Whew, I think I’ve sufficiently recovered from FinCon 2015… In mid-September the Republic Team came together in Charlotte, North Carolina to celebrate some of the most talented and motivated people we’ve ever had the pleasure to work with. If you aren’t familiar with FinCon, it is the largest gathering of digital content creators who blog, podcast, and otherwise dedicate their time to educate the rest of us on financial best practices. Retirement, debt reduction, investing, frugal living – these guys and gals have you covered.
It was so much fun to see old friends and meet new ones. It was great to see Holly Johnson from Club Thrifty, a blog devoted to helping you be more thoughtful and deliberate with your spending. We have high regard for Holly. She was the very first blogger we worked with several years ago. She patiently answered all of our silly questions and made some great introductions to her peers. Now she’s big time and you often see her byline in US News & World Report, which syndicates to outlets all over the country.
J. Money, father of two is a mowhawk-sporting truly nice guy. In addition to running the super popular Budgets Are Sexy blog, J$ spends considerable time and effort mentoring and curating Rock Star Finance, which aggregates the best of up and coming personal finance bloggers. We love you J$ — so much so that we made J$ Money…money…literally!
It’s always great to see Lance Cothern of Money Manifesto, a blog dedicated to helping others improve their finances, and the smile of Peter Anderson the blogger behind a great site called Bible Money Matters. We enjoyed catching up with Teresa Mears too – her blog Living on the Cheap now has 25+ city editions.
That was us you heard cheering… the end cap to 4 amazing days is The Plutus Awards, and a terrific After Party hosted by Republic Wireless. In ancient Greek mythology, Plutus was the god of wealth, who offered “his virtues without regard for the virtuosity or merit of the recipients.” What makes the Plutus Awards so cool is all finalists are peer nominated – which makes everyone a winner in our book. Three cheers for these Republic Wireless customers:
- Joe Udo, a long time Republic follower behind the blog Retire By 40, won a Plutus Award for Best Financial Independence Blog.
- Holly Johnson, Best Contributor/Freelancer for Personal Finance.
- Jason Vitug aka “Phroogal” was recognized with a Plutus for the Best Collaborative Project for Personal Finance for the amazing Road to Financial Wellness project – a 30-day, 30-location, cross-country grassroots and social media experiment to turn local money discussions into a national conversation on financial well being. We had the privilege to supply Jason and crew with phones and service from Republic Wireless for their first tour, and we’re looking forward to cooking up something bigger and badder for their 2016 tour.
- Michelle at Making Sense of Cents was honored with a Plutus for Best Personal Finance Blog for Millennials.
- And saving the best for last – Phil Taylor, otherwise known in this community as “PT” and the blogger behind PTMoney and founder of FinCon, was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award. We think Mrs. PT Money should get an award too – she made it to Charlotte with three small children all on her own.
As they say, that’s all the news that’s fit to print! We’ll be back with a new edition in a few weeks.