Welcome to our new series, “The Same 10 Questions We Always Ask: Team Edition.” We’ve asked Republic’s very own team members to respond to these questions, and we’ll feature a different team member each month.
Why are we doing this? Because we have incredible people working for us with awesome roles in our company like Data Scientist and “Mayor.” We love getting to know our members, but here at Republic, we think it’s a two-way street. We want to share with you what we’re up to and what makes us tick.
First Name: Binal
Title: Data Scientist
- What exactly is a Data Scientist?
A data scientist is someone who extracts value from data by creating products, providing insights, and helping inform business decisions. Simply put, a data scientist creates actionable value from data.
- How long have you been working at Republic?
I interned for a few months as an undergrad at NC State, and have been working full-time for just over a year now.
- What are you currently working on?
I’m working on a model that will help us predict whether a customer is likely to leave our service or not. The goal of it isn’t to nag someone to stay, but to figure out where customer pain points are, and see if we can improve on those to improve the overall customer experience.
- What do you enjoy most about working for Republic?
How relaxed and friendly the environment is, and how challenging the work has been. I’ve faced the most challenging work of my career here, but it has never been too stressful. No one hounds me about deadlines, and work never follows me home, which has been amazing.
- What was your WiFi vs. cellular data usage last month?
I used 46.8GB of WiFi vs 413.3MB of Cell.
- What’s your favorite app or what app would you recommend to Republic members?
I’ve really gotten into Quora app recently. The combination of random interesting questions, and amazing insightful answers has gotten me hooked on it.
- What’s the coolest/best spot where you’ve connected to WiFi (i.e. the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro — it happened!)?
The coolest is probably the 28th floor of a hotel in downtown San Francisco. It was a stunning view, and the start to one of the best vacations I’ve ever had.
- What do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work?
I love reading, traveling, and wandering around outside. I also program a decent amount in my free time on random projects.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
Retire and travel.
- What’s the most interesting thing you’ve ever done?
Sky-diving a year or two ago.
Thanks Binal for your time! Tune in next month for someone new who helps Republic go!